Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why Does the Networked Student Need a Teacher?

Networking Students
21st Century Student? Is there a need for a teacher for a networked student? Am I prepared to be a networked teacher? Ms. Drexler provided a very interesting way of describing exactly what a networking student does.

I have to say that I do think that teachers will always be necessary. I do not think that lectures should be extinct, nor classroom time should be diminished. However, I do like the idea of the student learning research on a different level. I like the idea of teaching students to find valuable information on the web, versus trusting the first sight that you come across. "Digging Deeper" is a great way to teach students to be successful later on in life.

I do think there should be more to a teacher than teaching a student how to network. This is pretty much a personal opinion, but I enjoy having classroom lectures sometimes, and I enjoy discussions because they help me retain more information and understand it on a different level - especially if I could relate to it. I think taking those times in the classroom and applying it to research or networking could be beneficial.

This kind of relates back to the video that we watched a few weeks ago - textbooks are bought and not read, lots of money is paid for a class that students receive nothing from - but that does not mean that it should all be extinct. The method could change, but the principal could stay the same, in my opinion.

I am ready to be a teacher who teaches my students to dive in for information, and to keep diving after one little nugget. I want to teach them to succeed after the hour in the classroom that they have.

1 comment:

  1. Do lectures have to be classroom lectures? It seems to me that there are a lot being added to the net every day that are not dependent on a classroom for their effectiveness. And don't forget the TED lectures, and Randy Pauch's lecture and many others.

    If textbooks are not used, why should they not be extinct (in print form at least?

    ReplyDelete