Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mr. McClung's Thoughts

I was very impressed with the thoughts that Mr. McClung shared with us. Sometimes while I am sitting in my education classes listening to the instructors tell us the things that we need to know to be a great teacher, it interests me so much that I think I can remember all of it and be the greatest teacher with absolutely no experience at all! Even when I talk to current teachers about how overwhelming it is and how challenging their jobs can be, something inside of me gets excited.

However, this summer I had to do some observation in some classrooms, and all of that excitement was stripped from me in an instant! The moment I walked in the school, I stopped and stood there for a second and thought "what have I gotten myself into?"

So reading this information was very helpful for more than one reason. I appreciate his thoughts so much because it is not from a teacher who has been in a classroom for 30 years. He is posting thoughts about his first year teaching, and that is fresh. One of his suggestions was to continue learning...looks like he is off to a great start!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Why did you have the reaction you did this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summer, when I walked into the schools that I visited, I imagined myself being a first time teacher entering into the school for the very first time. Even though I am close to graduating, it was still overwhelming because it was so much larger than a classroom with a chalkboaard. It made me realize that I want to be the best teacher with the new techniques in the classroom so that I can make an impact wherever I end up! So, Mr. McClung's blog is definitely a help to students that have so much to look forward to as well as so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... because it was so much larger than a classroom with a chalkboaard. It made me realize that I want to be the best teacher with the new techniques in the classroom so that I can make an impact wherever I end up! " Great. Keep in touch with Mr. McClung as you teach. It will be beneficial to you, and to Mr. McClung as well.

    ReplyDelete