Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is it Okay to be a Technology Illiterate Teacher?

Is it okay? I honestly have mixed feelings about this. I believe that teachers need to be educated up to speed, and that some form of technology needs to be implemented in the classroom, but I can't help but throw the opinion out there that technology does not determine knowledge. As a prospective teacher, I plan to use the skills I am learning an continue to learn new skills as they come about to teach my students, but I can't agree with the opinion that if teachers do not to that, then they aren't effective teachers.

I do not think that the statement comparing tech illiterate teachers to someone who cannot read being the same thing. Sure, the class may be a lot more exciting if the teacher implemented technology, but if not, it doesn't mean the student won't learn. Some of the most knowledgeable professors here at South don't know a thing about computers, and will tell you that technology is important and encourage us to learn about it, but their opinion is that they are too far in to this to learn something different. I prefer a teacher who implements technology as little as Powerpoint because it opens up my mind to see what I'm hearing. Sometimes it makes it a little harder to learn their material without technology, but it can be done.

I want to be technology literate, and I want to move ahead of the speed of my students, and have my students teach me and for the learning process to continue, but if I chose not to, I would hope that my job wouldn't be in jeopardy because of someone else's definition of literate.

Who sets the standard? Is it okay to be tech ILLiterate, sure...as long as you are effective.

1 comment: