Saturday, November 14, 2009

A New Future of Whatever

New future of Technology with Mr. Wesch
I must say that when I first started watching this video and saw that it was 33 minutes long, I didn't think this possibly could be interesting - however, I was proven wrong. Mr. Wesch certainly captured my attention! I have never thought of media the way it was presented here. The first thing that caught my interest was when he said that "media mediates conversations." It took a few minutes for that to process in my head, but once it clicked, I certainly agreed. My mind first went to the headlines on popular home pages such as MSN, Fox News, etc. All of the celebrity scandals, or the latest gossip about Jon and Kate is the topic of conversation at my workplace. It's the perfect conversation starter - such as "did you hear on the news about _________?" When media changes, the conversation steers to such change. It's quite amazing if you think about it!

Secondly, I really like the point that he made about the future of whatever. The way people respond to media is quite astonishing. While watching the videos about the free hugs (still one of my favorites out of the whole semester), and the one about the make a stand with a statement on your hand video, I sat back and thought to myself, media really does mediate communication and conversation. If it weren't true, YouTube wouldn't have the response that it does on a daily basis.

I really enjoyed watching this video, and Mr. Wesch's creativity of putting together the visuals with his presentation really put it into a perspective that could be understood by everyone.

So, if media mediates conversation, then I am certainly convinced that media in a classroom can enhance learning

No comments:

Post a Comment