Wednesday, November 4, 2009

ACCESS: Distant Learning???

Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Worldwide
ACCESS is a sight designed to provide distant learning to every student. The site is designed to give teachers an ability to attend online workshops to equip themselves with the knowledge of distant learning. The goal is to provide students with electives and other courses to take online through distant education.

This is a very neat program. However, while I was reading the 12 objectives that the plan wants to implement, I asked myself over and over again, "when will this actually happen?" I know right now they have courses that are web-enhanced in the public schools, and students do a majority of the work on-line in computer labs, but distant learning? Would they be required to come to school or would it be work outside of the classroom?

I know as a college student, online classes are not for me. I prefer coming to class and doing things hands on, rather than having to do it all at home. It seems as though it takes much more responsibility to keep up with everything at home rather than coming to class a few days a week. However, maybe this is a way to prepare high school students for college. If so, I think that would help tremendously.

I wonder if in the long run if this is a way to cut down on actual classrooms. I just can't help but wonder how that would turn out????

1 comment:

  1. EDM310 will become a "hybrid" call next semester with one class "at home" and one at school. I too worry that students will not take responsibility for their own learning and do the work "at home." But that is life. And we shall see.

    Actually, all schools in Alabama should now have ALEX and ACCESS in place. You would be correct, however, to question whether they use them.

    ReplyDelete