Sunday, August 23, 2009

Schools Killing Creativity

This video was a very big eye opener for me. I completely agree with what Mr. Robinson was saying. I remember in my elementary years of us having art, music, etc and that was my favorite time of the day. I enjoyed doing crafts, and using my imagination to create something that no one else could. I enjoyed participating in the school plays and thought it was really fun.

Are we, as educators, killing the human mind? I was astounded by his final quote about if all humans perished, that insects and the rest of the population would flourish. Do we kill "each other" by our view of what a "structured" education should be? I am not saying that the essential parts of education are not important - math, science, history - all of these things are HUGE in education. But I wonder why art, music, dance, etc, are at the bottom of the list.

Everyone remembers School House Rock, right? That was MUSIC!! It wasn't about the wind blowing through the trees or some other deep thought - it was simple songs to help you remember key things in the classroom! How many of us remembered one of those songs on a test? I remember my teacher giving us little poems to help us remember the order of the planets, or the order to do the math problems (remember Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally?)

Being who you are sometimes doesn't fit in to the "puzzle" of society. Just like Mr. Robinson said, at this day in age, if you gather information or have to do something different to "think", then they try to put you on medicine, or send you through counseling so that you fit in to what the world views as a "normal" human. What about looking a little bit deeper and finding out about who that person is? Just like the little girl, her possibilities were endless!!! (I am not degrading counselors, pychologists, or any type of therapy - I am working towards a career in that field myself...but I believe that these type of people can help bring the person into being who they want rather than making them meet the status quo)

I want to be an effective teacher, who can educate students to use their minds - in every aspect...not just 1+1=2.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, remember, remember.

    Now it's ask a question and look it up. Much better.

    ReplyDelete