Sunday, August 23, 2009

Did You Know 3.0??? and Mr. Winkle Wakes

Wow!!!!!! That video was absolutely shocking!!!

While I was watching this video, it made me feel like the world was running on a treadmill and the speed was increasing faster than the world on it! Within one blink of an eye, things are changing so rapidly and just as inventions are being invented to outsmart the human brain - technology is growing so fast the human mind cannot comprehend it.

I know that in my "world," I like to take things "one day at a time" in order to stay sane! I do plan for the things that are ahead, and I do have goals that I am working to reach - but my philosophy is that I can't get to tomorrow without getting through today. However, technology works the COMPLETE opposite. It seems as though technology looks 10 years ahead to better our world today...and it's only getting faster.

Did I know? I had no idea.


Mr. Winkle? Waking up from just 100 years ago to see where technology has taken us could be quite frightening. As I was watching this video, and it got to the hospital part, I was thinking to myself "thank God they have advanced!!!" However, when it got to the classroom setting, I was quite puzzled. Education is an important factor in creating smart "inventors", correct? I completely agree with the traditional classroom, with lectures and focusing on student learning, but if the world outside the classroom is moving at a much faster rate than the classroom itself, then are we fulfilling our purpose? Just like in the "Did You Know" video, in just one year information learned is outdated.

I think that the classroom should not be left behind in the updating process. If we are moving to a world at our fingertip society, then the classroom needs to portray that as well. A laptop should not be shoved under the cabinet never to be seen in a classroom...if so, then we are sheltering the students from the madness going on everyday.

I couldn't help but wonder exactly how Mr. Winkle would feel if he came back in another 100 years. It would possibly send him in to brain overload, because of the rate technology is increasing now...there is absolutely NO telling where we will be in ten years. If it took 38 years to reach 50 million people with a radio, but only 2 years to reach the same number of people on Facebook...then how quick will the next social network take????

Mr. Winkle, beware!

1 comment:

  1. What about a laptop for every student? They are doing that in Maine and in New South Wales, Australia! See http://techliterateteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete